Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sew and Tell #8

I hope all the aussies out in blog land had a great Australia Day. We spent the morning at the annual NRMA Motorfest. My 4 year old son particularly loved these vintage speed cars. Photo is courtesy of him and our old digital camera. He had a ball snapping photos of the bits he liked and getting down on his hands and knees to check underneath. As you may have guessed my son loves cars. Lucky it was only the morning as it was going to be another stinking hot day.



Now onto other important things. I finally finished my Chenille Star quilt started in 2007. As you can guess there is a chenille component. It was my first time sewing with chenille. It stretches. This project was what got me back into sewing big time after having my son. I booked into a one day class for my birthday at a local quilt shop. It was my first dose of real freedom. I gotta tell you I was very excited to be out for the better part of the day without any 'hanger-oners'.

I had organised a kit through the shop seeing as I loved the fabrics she had used. The brown patterned fabric is linen. It frays very easily. I wouldsay its a lapsize quilt. I used cotton batting.

I had it quilted by my local long arm quilter. I did a pieced back with an inbuilt label.









There are many more great finishes that you can see over at Amy's blog.

Thanks for visiting. I truly appreciate it.

Have a great weekend.

20 comments:

beth said...

what a beautiful quilt! love the colors and the chenille!

Leslie said...

this is amazing...really great job

Kristen said...

It looks wonderful. Minkee and Chenille are quite the challenge. I love the back!

Diane said...

That is lovely! love the colors and the textures!

antmee said...

We held our annual Autofest for Australia Day. But I had to work (I work in tourism) but the pay was good and met a lot of interesting people.

I love your star quilt. Adding chenille fabric gives quilts that cosie feeling don't you think?

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

WOW very stunning quilt!

Catherine said...

A gorgeous quilt! Love that brown floral and the pieced backing too! A great finish!

Mrs Moen said...

It looks great. It must have been a bit scary to start cutting into the middle of the beautiful quilt, but the result is wonderful.

Michelle said...

I love this! It seems I'm very drawn to quilts that look like 1 very large quilt block!

Nina... said...

Such a cozy looking quilt. The back is as beautiful as the front! Thanks for sharing!

Rebecca said...

Beautiful! I hope to make a king-sized quilt for us one year and think that this pattern would make the perfect center for it!

Lara said...

Wow Karen - just gorgeous. Love the colours!!

KQuiltyBee said...

Very interesting colors--I wouldn't have thought of combining those with chenille--I bet it's really cozy.

Carole Davids said...

I like how you added the chenille. Nice touch.

Thank you for stopping by my blog.

Carole
http://sewcuteblog.blogspot.com

Lesly said...

Look at that chenille! I've never worked with it, but it is intriguing! Love your quilt with the cotton, chenille and linen - such a great mix of textures!

The Quilt Buddy said...

It is gorgeous and well worth it!

pinksuedeshoe said...

I love the blues and browns together, just perfect!

Aunt Spicy said...

OMG, that is just amazing! Seriously, it is so beautiful

Rene' said...

That is such a gorgeous quilt!! Love it. Thanks for sharing.

Kim @ Everything Etsy said...

Wow! I wish I could do that! Maybe one day. I made a little quilt with some fabulous Moda fabric not too long ago. When I get more time I'd love to do more.

I'm a big Australia fan, too! We visited 4 or 5 years ago. Love it!

~Kim