Thursday, January 21, 2010

Sew & Tell #7

Well another one that took some time to arrive. This quilt has quite a history. My husband and I got married in September 2007 and while on our honeymoon in Coffs Harbour I just had to visit the local patchwork store and of course we all know what happened. P.S. the view is amazing from this place.

It is a largish bed quilt and I am hoping it will fit nicely on my queen sized bed. I had it machine quilted by my local long arm quilter with an overall pattern. I also managed to use up some older generation fabrics for the back. Very happy about that indeed. Even the binding was from my stash.

As you can see when you make a big quilt and live in a townhouse there is very limited locations to take decent photos of your quilt.

Unfortunately we are experiencing some very hot weather at the moment (37 - 43 degrees Celsius for the last couple of days) so I won't be sleeping under it for a while. I really hope the weatherman gets it wrong. As I get older I dislike the heat even more. Especially when there is no reprieve from the heat at night.











Do yourself a favour and check out lots of other great goodies over at Amy's.
'Ava great weekend (ode to aussies for Australia Day on Tuesday).



15 comments:

Catherine said...

Your quilt is Gorgeous Karen. Love the fabrics you've used. A great idea to use fabrics from your stash for the backing too. I might try that idea in my next scrappy quilt.

Leslie said...

this is amazing...love how you put it all together.

Diane said...

The colors are gorgeous! Beautiful quilt.

Shasta said...

That is a pretty quilt - great combination of fabrics - even he back is beautiful. Congrats on your new quilt, and using more of your stash. You could always take a long vacation north if you wanted to use the quilt now.

Dotty Jane said...

It's so pretty! The colors are great.

I hate hot weather, too!

Nicole said...

Something that big and beautiful from scraps?! Very inspiring. Great job.

SueWis said...

This is just gorgeous. Beautiful choice of fabrics! How sweet that you bought it on your honeymoon.

And I LOVE your tulip photo at the top. I have been working on a tulip pattern in my head. Love them!

Sara said...

Beautiful quilt - nice soft colors! Great finish.

Sue SA said...

Karen, the quilt is beautiful and congratulations that you got it finished and on the bed despite the weather! I brought a few kitch pineapple and hibiscus fat quarters and a patchwork book on our honeymoon in Hawaii - the only patchwork shop I found was closed! I love the pieced back, but dont think that I will aspire to that, usually by the time I am up to finding a backing I am over piecing!

Suzanne said...

So very soft and pretty!

Rene' said...

You must be so pleased. This is a really pretty quilt. I love it. So soft and serene. Thanks for sharing!

Sharon said...

Thanks for sharing Karen - the quilt looks lovely. Stay cool, from a South Aussie!

Heather said...

That is gorgeous! Love, love, love the colors and prints you used. Hope you get to sleep under it soon! (I'd share some Minnesota snow with you, if I could. We have more than we need!)

The Tripp Family said...

what a beautiful quilt! I love the colors and glad for you that you were able to use up some stash. That always feels good :)

trish said...

I absolutely adore this quilt!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne