Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sew and Tell #10

Well its been a few weeks between drinks for me. Life and work got in the road of finishing anything plus a pesky shoulder problem (which was really my neck).
First up is a peak at my rows coming together for the quilt-along I am participating in. I am about half-way there.

But my most significant and exciting finish for a while is my Christmas quilt. In 2008 I enrolled in the Fat Quarter Shop's 'Designer Mystery Block of the Month'. I really wasn't sure what to expect but am so glad that I signed up. What a fantastic BOM they put together. I managed to make my block each month. The instructions (cutting and piecing) were excellent. The batting I used was bamboo. I had never used this before but had the right sized piece in my stash courtesy of a magazine subscription. Well it has quilted up beautifully. I had it quilted by my local long arm quilter. Because the quilt is so busy we decided an all-over pattern was needed. I can't say enough just how much I love this quilt. Yeah and all the fabrics are from Moda's 'Peace on Earth' range.
I have had all sorts of bother trying to get a photo that I am happy with. It seems that the days I am at home it rains and the days I am at work it is sunny. This is so frustrating for taking photos. Its a pretty photo heavy post but hopefully its some nice eye candy for you.

The following pictures are of my favourite blocks but the first one is probably my number 1 favourite.

This is the back of the quilt. I used some of the scraps to make a label and include it in the backing.

Please don't forget to check out all the other gorgeous finishes for this week at Amy's and let them know you visited.

26 comments:

antmee said...

You have been very busy "between drinks"! Making a very gorgeous quilt. I have not been so good. I haven't finished anything just dribs and drabs of lots of different projects.

Catherine said...

What a great finish after being absent. A gorgeous quilt, love the fabrics used and the all over quilting is giving it lovely texture.

bumblebeebags said...

can I have it??? puhlease!!!!! I absotutely love it!!!

Lauren said...

The quilt is amazing! Great finish! I also love the colors of the one you're still working on!

Mrs Moen said...

It's lovely - and way ahead of Christmas:-)

Diane said...

beautiful quilt and your road to spring is looking great!!!

MandMStudio said...

Totally love it:)

Leslie - she sews and scraps said...

That quilt is amazing and the other project is too!
Thanks for sharing!

Dee said...

You win the "Prettiest Header" award for Friday Finish!

I love, love your blog and your projects. The colors, the blocks, the care and time you've put into them!

Wonderful!

Nicole said...

I love it! Great colors and designs on all of the blocks.

Sara said...

Really like all the fabrics! The quilt is very pretty. Good job!

Mandy Noble said...

Your Christmas quilt is stunning, and you are so ahead of the game!

Lesly said...

Wow! It's beautiful! Love the colours and the quilting is great - and by the time Christmas comes around it will be like a present all by itself!

allyn said...

beautiful. it must be very satisfying to have this done and to have it be so gorgeous.

Leslie said...

this is stunning...what a great finish. i have seen BOM things but have never been sure if i wanted to try but this is super cool.

Sue SA said...

All blogging breaks are redeemed with EXCELLENT show and tell! I love the stars in the sashing and your Christmas colours are so refreshing. Congratulations on such a big finish. I am looking forward to the next one, Sue.

Kristen said...

I love the stars in the sashing. I love what you are working on. It's going to be stunning.

ivoryspring said...

Karen,

Your Christmas quilt is just so beautiful! I have a small wallhanging made using some of the same fabrics...

It's great to hear from you. Have a lovely weekend.

pinksuedeshoe said...

Pretty Pretyy! Love the colors in your WIP project and your BOM quilt is just fabulous.

Mary St. John Nielsen said...

Wow - your Christmas quilt is beautiful!

Anne at Film and Thread said...

Beautiful quilt! Those fabric choices really work well for this.

beth said...

a very beautiful quilt!

KQuiltyBee said...

Absolutely lovely! You will treasure this for a long time. I can't wait to try some bamboo batting.

Mary said...

Wow, gorgeous! Congrats on an amazing finish!

Rene' said...

Karen, this quilt turned out beautifully! I can see why you are so pleased. Thank you for sharing all the pictures. Your long armer did a great job with the all over quilting pattern. Hope your neck/shoulder is all better.

em's scrapbag said...

Very lovely quilt. I really like the star block.