Friday, March 12, 2010

Sew and Tell #11

Well its that exciting time of the week again - Sew and Tell. I love my Saturday/Sunday mornings when I have my breakfast and check out all the wonderful things created during the week. Do yourself a favour and go and check them out too. You can find them here.

I finally finished my quilt top for the 'On the Road to Spring' quilt along hosted by Randi. Its a whopper. Its 102 by 93 inches. Just the way I like them. It will fit my queen bed beautifully. I don't mind saying though the last half seemed to take FOREVER. I have got my backing worked out. Just need to piece it together. I am so very happy I didn't go with the white squares between the prints. I love the linen fabric I used instead. I was inspired by a post by the very talented Rita of Red Pepper Quilts. At this stage I have no idea how I will get it quilted. Maybe an allover design seeing as its pretty busy.


This is a photo of the quilt top strung over a tree outside our back gate. No its not a sappy tree.

I have also, rather impulsively, joined in the fun over at Moose on the Porch Quilts. They are having a Jelly Roll Sampler Quilt Along. This is block one. Each month's block will be designed by someone different. I am using Simple Abundance by Bonnie and Camille. The background fabric is a Kona solid. For the life of me I can't remember the colour though. It was in my stash and was a nice contrast to the fabrics in the jelly roll.

Lastly I finished a beanie for The Winter Warm project. They send winter woolies overseas for the needy. I am a very slow knitter. This pattern is perfect for me. Nothing complicated and just plain garter stitch. I also have some blankets I finished last year. I teamed up with a work colleague who is a super fast knitter. She would knit up the squares and I finished off the ends and sewed the squares together. The model is my son. He was demonstarting his model poses.

Hope you all have a fabulous weeked!

23 comments:

Pokey said...

Good looking quilt, Karen. I like your dark tan choice, and we all are loving that aqua-red thing these days! Great Friday finish!

SueWis said...

Beautiful quilt top! I'm glad you used the linen, too, it's really pretty.

antmee said...

My favourite type of quilt! A beautiful collection of fabric, mixed with linen.

If I wasn't so lazy (or busy!) I would try and make one like this.

Kristen said...

Great quilt top! I love it piled over the tree.

jlk said...

I started the Jelly Roll Quilt Along as well! Your quilt is so pretty. Good luck with the quilting part!

Lesly said...

That linen is a beautiful choice!

ivoryspring said...

Karen,

It's lovely to hear from you again! I appreciate your kind words! :)

Your finished quilt top is BEAUTIFUL! So soft and inviting. And a large size too - my hats off to you.

Mary said...

I like your quilt top! I see so many of my favorite fabrics in there. Can't wait to see it all finished!

nima said...

beautiful quilt...i love the fabric too

pinksuedeshoe said...

Oh the linen makes a huge impact! I love it, and I can't wait to see it all finished and laid out on a bed. It looks just wonderful.

Rene' said...

Karen, you have a lot to share this week. I like your quilt top. Nice fabric and design. Great beanie and cute model. What a wonderful cause!

ktquilts said...

Great quilt! Only makes me want to try linen more!
Blessings,
KT

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Love the quilt top! The linen was a good choice.

Cute model! Wish I could knit:)

amylouwho said...

I love that quilt top! The linen with the red is so pretty! Can't wait to see it quilted!

Sue SA said...

Great quilt, I love seeing your colour choices. Hmm, Linen, did it fray, need lots of ironing, does it sew nicely? I never buy linen to wear (hate ironing), so never thought of it for patchwork, but looks great! Perhaps i will get a bit more adventorous in my old age, ha ha!

Rita E said...

Beautiful quilt top! Love your color choices and use of linen instead of the white. I finished my Road to Spring quilt today and will share next week. That was a fun QAL and I think I may make a bigger one for my bed. Thanks for sharing!

Catherine said...

A really beautiful quilt top finished Karen. Love the linen contrast in it.

KQuiltyBee said...

Lovely fabric choices on the quilt! Nice to have the hats to do, too!

em's scrapbag said...

The quilt is beautiful. I really like the woven.
Your son is a great model. Love the tongue.

Ivory Spring said...

Hi Karen,

Thanks for stopping by my sew and tell! I hope you are doing well.

Happy Sewing.

sewtakeahike said...

wow! love the quilt top! it's going to be fabulous all quilted and bound!

Dawn N. said...

I loooove that quilt!!

amy smart said...

This quilt is SO wonderful! I love the linen. I'm sure it will be even more stunning when it's quilted (they always are, aren't they?) Very nice!