Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sew and Tell #13

Well finally I am back with something to show. Nothing much is getting finished at the moment though. Not sure why. It may have something to do with my headspace. Its been a busy few weeks. We went to visit my parents and sister up the coast for Easter and both hubby and I managed to score some extra time off work so all told we had a week away. We had an excellent time. Built in baby sitters/entertainers sure lessens the load and allows for a rather relaxing time.

My son was reassured that the Easter Bunny knew where he was and that he knew he liked Mini Coooper cars (as well as chocolate eggs).

One day we went for day trip up river basically to play in the water. We (yep child and adults) had a great time skimming and throwing stones once the bull had departed. He just wandered off across the bridge. It was quite amusing to watch this huge beast walk across the bridge with no sides. Obviously he knew where he was going and lucky no cars or cattle trucks came barelling along.
I got Block 4 of the Jelly Roll Sampler Quilt Along finished. I am loving this quilt along.

Below is Block 3 of the Jelly Roll Quilt Along.


I made a runner for one of my work friends for a very special birthday. I used Frolic (Sandy Gervais) squares from the Moda Bakehouse Sampler Box. I fortuitously had some Moda solid which matched perfectly with the range. I just did straight line quilting. It was a chance to check my sewing machine was working OK after having a service and repair. Glad to say it is zooming along nicely now.

The recipient was very happy with the present (or gave a very good impression). I was thinking of using some of the squares up in a similar fashion for gifts. Don't be surprised if it is exactly the same as I am really hopeless with the design/maths side of things. Its just way to stressful for me when all I really want to do is sew and create.



Now for those who would like some photography tips the lovely Konda from Moose on the Porch Quilts has posted a very informative post called 'Taking and Posting Photos 101'. This has been great for me but probably because I am such a novice.

The weather is definitely turning cooler which is nice but the coming home from work in the dark is not.

Please do yourself a favour and check out all the other great finishes over at Amy's.

I hope you all have a super dooper weekend.

Karen

16 comments:

P. said...

The runner is gorgeous, as are your quilt along blocks! I really like the Frolic squares in the runner and the straight-line quilting.

Sue SA said...

I also struggle with the maths of making my own designs. A good friend swears by EQ program, so one day when I get my own PC I am going to ask Santa to buy me this software. In the meantime I think simple four and nine patch mixed with one patch is fantastic!
Glad to hear that your machine is working well and that you had a relaxing break over Easter.
Sorry about the delay in recognising the blogger award, I am just now able to get some pc time. However my DH is now making noises about getting me my own pc, so I am not without one when he goes away and takes the laptop with him, which would be blissful.
Happy quilting, Sue.

Sew It UP! said...

Simply so pretty. I have a soft spot for table runner. Your came out great. I don't like doing the math either. I think that's why I'd rather follow a pattern than try to make one up for myself. Less brain work.

Thanks for sharing!

Leslie said...

this last project you finished is so pretty...great fabrics

beth said...

What a nice gift! And thanks for the info about pictures. I can always use some help there!

Heather said...

I'm sure the happiness you saw was not just an impression. lol That runner is beautiful! Love the cheery colors! And your Quilt Along quilt is going to be just as gorgeous. Nice work! :o)

Jill from Women Who Do It All said...

That's gorgeous! Thanks for the sweet comments on my tie tutorial! Fun blog you have, I'll be back for sure :)

Dayna said...

These are very nice!

Michelle said...

I can see why your friend was pleased the runner. It is so pretty and cheerful. :-) Your jelly roll blocks look like a lot of fun and are turning out so nicely.

Morgane said...

I like how simple and beautiful your blocks are!
the runner is cool, you are a good friend to have!
thanks for stopping by!
Happy quilting

Mary said...

What a lovely runner! Such happy colors, and I'm always a huge fan of straight-line quilting :-)

antmee said...

Love this runner! You mixed the fabrics perfectly and it looks just "right".

Jan said...

Such a happy runner! The straight line quilting is perfect for it!
Thank you for stopping by my blog with such kind comments!

Kristen said...

The runner is beautiful. I like the fabric choices and quilting. I am enjoying watching everyone use their fabric for this jelly roll quilt along. These look great!

Rene' said...

Karen, glad you enjoyed your time off. This table runner is so beautiful! Those fabrics are simply gorgeous offset against the white. Your jelly roll sampler quilt along blocks look great as well. Thanks for sharing!

em's scrapbag said...

What a happy runner. I might have to try something like that. Your blocks for the quilt along are lovely.