Friday, June 4, 2010

Sew and Tell #14

Where has the time gone? Its been a while since I last posted about my completed projects so I thought I would show you a few of the things I have gotten finished. I have added this post to the wonderful Amy's Sew and Tell. Its well worth a visit.
I made some tissue box covers for Mother's Day presents. I got the idea fter reading this post. I used what I had on hand. Great tip was to use hair ties for the elastic. There are lots of colours available which allows you to colour co-ordinate (if you want). The blue one in the middle in all mine. I decided it was time to pretty up my desk at work a bit. It is from some very precious Tanya Whelan fabric. I slightly messed up the measurements but refuse to dwell on it.

I have been inspired by lots of posts to try and get some old(er) projects completed. I bought a kit for a simple cot quilt when I was pregnant with my son. I didn't know I was having a boy when I bought it though. Well my son is 4 1/2 and I finally have it done. Many thanks to Jacquie at Tallgrass Prairie Studios who inspired me to try a more organic quilt design. Love the freedom it gave me. I used no measurements/lines whatsoever. How liberating! Definitely going to do this again. Quilt top fabrics are all Moda.


I have finally caught up with my Jelly Roll Sampler blocks. I love this quilt along!!!Love this block too. This is block 6 and we were encouraged to select a novelty print for the centre square. Fantastic touch!
The next one is Block 7. If you want to join in you can start any time. There are also prizes every couple of weeks. See the link in my side bar if you are interested.


We are having lots of wonderful rain at the moment. Great sewing weather. Its seems so long since we had any decent rain. I love the rain (when we do get it). I find it quite relaxing.
Thanks for visiting and I hope your weekend is good.

25 comments:

Sparrow Bee said...

Hi - thanks for visiting my blog - I have one of those unfinished baby quilts, my little girl is nearly 4, should get to it aye?! Yours looks great. love the tissue box idea too.♥

Nicole said...

Fun projects! I like the idea of a quilt along with a jelly roll... You're certainly making it look good. :)

Jan said...

I love the quilting you did!

ROZ said...

Fun quilt! And I love the quilt that you had in the blogger's quilt festival.

Diane said...

Ok, I just love the quilting you did on that quilt! I have read over her instructions seveal times but am still chicken to do those random lines... but your look fantastic!

beth said...

Great projects today!! Love your quilts!! YOur quilting looks wonderful too!

Sew It Up Baby! said...

I love the tissue box covers. I sure could use one too. I know what you mean about the freedom of just quilting. And the results are always wonderful. You are tempting me with the quilt along... I might just have to take a look-see ;o)

Leslie said...

the tissue box covers are fun....i love the quilt you finished. the organic quilting is so pretty

Jen Poe said...

I love the organic quilting you did! I can see how that would feel liberating!! I see a lot of things about tissue box covers but I rarely have a box of tissue around so I never feel like they'd be practical for me haha. They're super cute though, it almost makes me want to start keeping tissue around the house!

I live in Oregon, and we've had nothing BUT rain - I'd love for it to come to an end! I'll try to convince ol' mother nature to send some of it your way! ;)

Mrs Moen said...

Congratulations on finishing an old UFO, it looks great! Those tissue box covers are a great gift idea; they look lovely, and I don't see any measurement mistakes anywhere.-)

Sarah Craig said...

Great finishes!! I really love that organic quilting - it certainly looks like it would free you up a lot!! Doesn't it feel wonderful to get an old UFO off the list? ;-)

pinksuedeshoe said...

Love those fabrics in block 6, and the owl in the middle is perfect!

ivoryspring said...

Karen,

Thank you for visiting my sew and tell. Your Mother's Day gifts are beautiful - what a great gift idea. That quilt is lovely. And I especially like your blocks - the orange color scheme is unique.

Michelle said...

Beautiful finishes!

Michelle - Mom of 3 Munchkins said...

Your quilting is beautiful! I also have projects I started when I was pregnant with each of my kids and still haven't finished! Thanks for visiting my blog!

Miri said...

Don't finishes feel great! The tissue covers are terrific and a fantastic gift idea!

Catherine said...

Great finishes for you this week. Love the tissue box covers and your quilting and aren't your jelly roll blocks looking great! We've had a lot of rain too and I really don't mind at all.

paisley and lace said...

I like the quilting lines. I think this will especially work for a first quilt my son is working on. His joining of blocks isn't quite even, so making precise lines won't work. Great idea. And I really like how it looks!

Lappedamen said...

Beautiful qulting. The blocks are very pretty.

Sue SA said...

Hi Karen, I love the tissue box covers, I will definately have to make one of those for myself. I dont thinks a 4 yr UFO is too bad, the quilt looks great finished though, the quilting makes me want to touch it, good for you taking that leap! Happy quilting Sue.

Megan said...

Sssshhh, don't tell anyone, but I think your Jelly roll quilt along blocks are my absolute favorite! I love how the colors you chose for each block coordinate so well. Can't wait to see the finished product!

em's scrapbag said...

Great projects! Thanks for the link for the kleenex boxes. Jacquie is such an inspiration. I've gotten quilting ideas from her also. Along with lots of other ideas.

Rita E said...

Love the tissue covers ... Great post! Thanks for the visit and comment!

P. said...

Looks like you've gotten some great things accomplished! I like the straight line quilting on the cot quilt. And your jelly roll sampler blocks look amazing!

antmee said...

Love the quilting! Gives the quilt a nice look. Your blocks are gorgeous, especially with a touch of cute print in the centre.

I also ended up with a stack of ufo's last year and am trying to be disciplined to finish them off. I try to do a little bit of at least one of them every other day. There will be quite a few finishes soon.