Friday, June 18, 2010

Sew and Tell #15

Well hello fellow crafters. Its time for the wonderful sew and tell again. I have had a great week. The annual NSW Quilters Guild Quilt Show was this week. Click here, here, here, here and here to see the prize winning quilts. This is an annual pilgramage for me. I had a wonderful day wandering around amongst the quilts and shops. There was lots of yummy quilts to see and many yummy things to buy. Oh yeah and I was by myself. Love it! I could just do what I wanted and buy what I wanted. Oh the freedom.
Okay down to business. I finished Block 8 of the Jelly Roll Sampler Quilt Along. I really like the pattern for this block but was worried how much fabric it was going to need. So I decided to make it scrappy as it lended itself beautifully to doing this. I just used leftover pieces from earlier blocks. In real life it doesn't look quite as pale as it does in the photo.
I might not have been doing much quilt making but I have been pillowcase making. Lots of them. I picked up some boy print flannels and thinking I would only get 3 out of the yardage I ended up getting 4. Yes!!!. I just added some accent prints at the end. They are all going to homes after my son picked his favoutite.

Keeping with the pillowcase theme I used some Anna Maria Horner flannel to make some pillowcases for me. With some very careful cutting I also manged to get 4 pillowcases out of these fabrics too. Needless to say I am thoroughly pillowcased out for the forseeable future.


Don't forget to check all the other entries for this week. Just click here.
I hope everyone has a good weekend.
Enjoy and thanks for stopping by.

22 comments:

nima said...

wow...lovely pillowcases...beautiful fabric

P. said...

I like the scrappy look of your quilt along block. And your pillowcases are gorgeous! I can see how you'd be a bit burnt out after making all those, though.

Michelle said...

My, but you have been productive!

Love the cases and your finished block :)

Michelle said...

Such wonderful pillowcases! Some little child is really going to enjoy those. Glad you were able to take the time to make some for yourself.

You can never go wrong with scrappy, imo. The block looks great!

Thanks for the links to the quilt show. I'm going to have to spend some time looking.

Diane said...

I LOVE those AMH pillowcases! They turned out beautiful!

Dee said...

The block is lovely and the pillowcases just rock! Good for you on such awesome finishes!

Catherine said...

You have got a lot accomplished this week! Love your pillow cases and your latest jelly roll block!

pinksuedeshoe said...

Those AMH fabrics are beautiful! Nice work.

Jen Poe said...

TONS of pillow cases this week, but they are GREAT pillow cases! I love them! I love the little boy fabrics - both would make our 2 year old a pretty happy camper. He still sleeps without a pillow right now, but I am thinking he's probably ready for one because sometimes we catch him using a stuffed animal under his head. I'd love to make him something cute with fabric like those!

Miri said...

Very pretty pillowcases! I just love the purple ones (and I'm not usually a purple person! :)

Sarah Craig said...

Beautiful pillowcases! I'm getting ready to teach a bunch of 1st thru 5th graders how to sew using pillowcases - one for each of them and lots more to donate! Hope they're as easy as they look!

Leslie said...

those are awesome pillowcases! you have a ton...and i love the block that you made. what a great week

Ivory Spring said...

Karen,

Your finishes are all fabulous, especially that set of pink pillowcases!

Thank you for visiting my sew and tell, and the kind words on the quilt. The magazine is coming out in Sept. :)

em's scrapbag said...

Great pillowcases!

Roslyn said...

That's a lot of pillow cases but don't the kids love them?
And the older I get the more I love scrappy which is why I am a quiltville.com fan!

ktquilts said...

Love them all!!!
Blessings,

KT

Beth said...

Love your pillow cases - one can never have enough of them! Your jelly roll sampler block is wonderful I like the scrappy look of it!

Vicki said...

Great quilt block... the pillowcases are awesome!

Kate said...

Love the scrappy block - I have some Simple Abundance that I must use.

Rene' said...

Karen, how fun to get to stroll around the quilt show at your leisure! I love your jelly roll block. Those blues are gorgeous with the browns and reds. Great pillowcases too. You've been busy!

Jodie said...

Karen, the pillowcases are fantastic. It's something I wouldn't have thought to do.

jlk said...

I love the pink pillowcases! So pretty. I love making them, but kind of resent the amount of fabric used.