Sunday, November 21, 2010

What I've been doing

First cab off the rank is a house block for a little 'Friendly Neighbourhood' Beth is organising over at Love Laugh Quilt. Great idea.  My inspiration is from Material Obsession Book 1.  The BIG lesson I learnt from this exercise is that improv piecing is not for me.  I totally cannot do it.  My brain cannot grasp the technique.  In the end I am happy with my block.  It will hopefully be winging its way to Beth this week. 


The next quilt along being organised by Konda at Moose On the Porch Quilts has started.  This time its using a layer cake.  I am using a Hunky Dory layer cake.  What I have discovered is that this range probably doesn't have enough contrasting prints for my liking.  So I have borrowed an idea I saw on the Flickr group and will add the odd solid.  Here is block 2:

This is the first block.  Konda gets some great block designs for her quilt alongs that's for sure.


And if one quilt along isn't enough I have started a round robin quilt along being organised by Amitie.  It is my favourite Aussie quilt shop.  Luckily/unlucky its not my local quilt shop. This is part if the first block.  Its a ripper first block.  I have got it 75 per cent finished.  I just dug around in my scraps.  I have no idea what the final quilt will look like.  Leap of faith is required but I have no doubt it will be very good.


Next up is a quick baby gift I made.  The pattern is from Joelle Hoverson's book 'Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts'.  This is an excellent last minute gift.  It turned out so good.  The neat trick for quilting the layers together is wonderful. This pattern will definitely be used again.




Last up is some softies I made for an appeal being organised by Pip at Meet Me At Mike's.  Its the fourth year for the Softies for Mirabel appeal.  You can see what I made last year here.  It was also my first post ever.  I'd forgotten that.  Anyways this year I used the 'Square Bear' pattern from Jenny Ryan's book 'Sew Darn Cute'.  Its a fabulous pattern and they make super cuddly bears.

Many thanks to all those that use some of their precious time to read my blog and comment. I really appreciate it.

6 comments:

jlk said...

You've done a lot this week! Ditto on the improv blocks. They are not for me, but I sure do like to look at them.

antmee said...

You have been super busy! I love the quilt blocks and your softies. I have been meaning to get So darn cute for ages.

Catherine said...

Gosh Karen you've been busy once again! I agree with the Hunky dory line that it probably does need a solid to break it up and perhaps make those pretty patterns stand out. It's going to be a beautiful quilt. Your second quilt-along is very intrigueing! Is it a scrap quilt?

Rene' said...

Karen, you've been a busy girl! Love all your projects!

Kate said...

Your improv house looks great! I find improv can get pretty fiddly and there's too many choices to make at times.

amylouwho said...

you have been BUSY!! I love the hunky dory stars!

Did you see you won the potholders at Twin Fibers! yay!!