Sunday, November 13, 2011

I think I am out of practice

You won't believe how long it took me to make the last 3 blocks of the Fat Quarter Stars Quilt Along. I haven't been able to sew for some time and I think I definitely lost the flow. That being said I did get them done. Yeah! I am all caught up now.
Below is blocks two, three and four. Block three looked good before I cut the pieces and sewed them together. There just isn't enough contrast in the centre pinwheel for my liking. No unpicking will be occurring though. I am just going to see how it fits in the whole quilt when all the blocks are done.






I have taken a picture of all the blocks together. I am slightly in love with the Kona Maize solid I am using. I love it with all the colours I have picked so far.


Next up is something sort of special, sort of insane. I asked one of my sister-in-laws if she would like a quilt. She said yes and we bought some of French General's Rural Jardin. The pattern is called Delectable Mountains. I love how the first block turned out.  There is an insane amount of triangles for each block and they are on the smallish side. I have to make 30 blocks. Yes 30!!!!! I have no idea how I will stay motivated but motivated I must be. I don't have an official deadline but I am thinking I should set myself one just so I get it finished.
Anybody got any tips on keeping the motivation going?



I know I lost my mojo a bit because while cutting out my quilt along blocks I cut myself not once but twice with the rotary cutter. Smart eh? Geez Louise do they sting.  Lucky not too much damage to me or the rotary cutter.
Now I am off to do some cutting out of small triangles.
I will leave you with a very cute saying from my 6 year old son. We were out driving and were merging onto the highway where the speed limit is 110 km/h when this voice pipes up from the back of the car "Accelerate like you love it Dad!". Yeah he loves watching car racing.

6 comments:

Rachaeldaisy said...

I'm laughing so much at what your son said! That is so cool, I'll have to borrow that line one day! Your stars look great, I don't think number 3 needs redoing at all. Your French General quilt is going to be amazing! Im the worst at finishing projects but i recently downloaded a audio book to listen to when I sew, I find myself wanting to listen so it lures me back into my sewing room. And post on your blog and we'll all cheer you along!!

jlk said...

I love those blocks! The Kona maize looks like a pretty choice.

Leslie can't stop quilting said...

Yea Karen!! Your blocks are fantastic! I am sooo glad that you are back!! I have missed you!!
The 30 blocks is another matter....the things we get ourselves into!! (O:

Sue SA said...

I think that Christmas (and all the extra jobs) tends to put me off quilting this time of year - unless I have Christmas gifts to make. And if you had two Sewing room accidents, I think a little break or at least a coffee/chocolate is in order, we would like you to KEEP your fingers! Dont fret about loosing your mojo, just set a date for the quilt to be ready and MARK in your 2012 diary some personal Saturday QALs...then tell the boys, so they can organise themselves some boys own outings eg bike rides/watch bathurst) while you sew! Awesome fabric, tricky block, but if you dont extend yourself you dont grow, so go for it! Loving the other blocks, especially the star in a star, simply beautiful. Happy quilting Sue.

Catherine said...

Pretty blocks Karen. I think the pinwheel one at the top looks fine when mixed with the other blocks. The best motivation for me is a deadline and also the prospect to starting a new project once I'm done. You son's quote was priceless!

antmee said...

Your son sounds like a lot of laughs. Bless him.

Love your blocks. The fabric choices are fabulous.