Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sewing along

Well here we are again (so soon?) with end-of-year celebrating. My son has finished his first year of school with an Academic Achievement Award. We are very proud parents. He was only one of three in his class to receive the award. The first year of school has definitely had many good and bad challenges. I just might have had a celebratory drink after school Friday with some very good friends who also had children in kindy. Verrry nice! It was perfect just chilling and chatting while the kids played.

For the wonderful kindy teacher I made a pleated pouch using Tanya Whelan fabrics (I adore that floral & may just have stashed a metre or two!!!). I have made so many of these. It is a wonderful pattern. The pattern can be found at Skip To My Lou. I put some hand made soap inside. Its tricky trying to think of something different that they aren't going to get lots of and something that they will like and use.


I was definitely on a mission to finish wrapping my presents. I decided to make my MIL & her sister a grocery bag. Pattern was awesome!!! It is from Keykalou and you can but it here. I used some older generation Amy Butler fabrics with some spots I found in the cupboard to co-ordinate. I just have to say what a pleasure it was to make these bags. The pattern is thought out beautifully. The bags have been suitably stuffed with goodies.






Then yesterday I really found my groove. Gosh it felt fabulous! Isn't it great when everything you touch just goes together without any 'issues'? Oh yes it is!
First  up was the latest block from the Fat Quarter Stars Quilt Along. It involved a cathedral window star centre. The instructions were great and I got it to work first go.


I have had this messenger bag tutorial by the talented Amy Smart bookmarked for ages. Well no more! It finally had its day thanks to some inspiring fabrics from Art Gallery. Yet another superb pattern. It has yet to be road tested. I have plans for Thursday though. A certain super son might just get a train ride to the city and get to visit the hobby shop of all hobby shops. You can read that to say we won't be leaving empty handed. His passion is cars. Anything cars! We have a toy car collection that you wouldn't believe! Yes he remembers if he has one or not. Of course that's nothing like us quilt makers and our fabrics is it? (LOL)

 


A very good friend asked if I could finish a candlewicked quilt that her Mum had started but was now unable to finish. All that was needed was to bind it...in satin ribbon! Thank goodness for walking feet and Rita's (Red Pepper Quilts) binding tutorial. Easy peasy! The photo of the whole quilt is useless in showing the candlewicking designs. I'm good at taking photos like that (lol). I however was able to get a closeup of one of the blocks. It is cute.


If you've made it to here THANK YOU. This maybe my longest post ever.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!

5 comments:

Rachaeldaisy said...

This post has been bags of fun!! hee hee. Truly,you've made some very cool bags! And your Catherdral Star is amazing. I've been too scared to try machine binding, you're super brave to do it with satin! The candlewicking is so pretty. A huge congratulations to your son for getting such a great award!

Sue SA said...

Glad you got your mojo back, love the results, well done. Have a great chrissy break, Sue.

Catherine said...

Wow you have been on a roll. It does make a difference when everything goes together nicely doesn't it. I like that floral on your pleated pouch too, very pretty. Those market bags look like a really good size too and good choice of fabrics;-) Happy Christmas to you and your family!

Diane said...

Great bags and I am sure the teacher loved the pouch and congrats on your sons achievments!

antmee said...

Congratulations to your son! Well done! Also, long posts are truly acceptable (especially when they are full of gorgeous bag making like you did!)