Saturday, June 14, 2014

The most awesomeness weekend (in my crafty life)

Where to start?  I have had an extremely wonderful couple of days!  Have a look at the photos and then I will tell all!













It all started on Friday night when I went to a trunk show by the beautiful Camille Roskelley. She chatted about her quilts, designing fabric and quilts and graciously answered our questions and requests for photos.  From her comments she has been having a wonderful time here in Australia with her buddy Holly.  Holly did an awesome job of holding up Camille's quilts. Camille's quilts.  What can I say, but in the flesh they are just so much more lovely and beautiful and warm and pretty and charming and just downright wonderful.  The trunk show was held at Kim Bradley Creations shop. Kim did  a marvelous job hosting the trunk show. She also offered attendees a discount if we wished to shop on the night. "She of no self restraint when it comes to fabric" bought some geometrics for the stash.  They are pictured in the last photo. Kim has a wonderful range of fabrics and well worth a visit.

Then after a restless night dreaming up my "quilts to make" list (please tell me that I am not crazy and other people are afflicted by this too) it was off to Quiltsmith for a WHOLE DAY with Camille. I was excited as a kid in a lolly shop!   We were making her Red Letter Day quilt (see first photo). I was not disappointed at all.  Camille is a wonderful teacher.  She made sure she chatted with everyone about their quilts and kept an eye on everyone as we cut, sew, pressed and chatted our way through the day. See awesome! She gave us a wonderful tip for keeping the segments together/oriented the right way while we were piecing the block together.  I must say the blocks came together easily thanks to Camille's pattern.  She told us she loves the maths.  Thank goodness because that's the part I don't enjoy (along with basting).  The course included morning tea and the yummiest salad sandwiches for lunch.  There were 16 of us in the class and it was great size because you got to meet everyone and everyone was friendly and interested in each other's fabrics and progress.  Melinda, the owner of Quiltsmith, has a what I call a large range of fabrics.  I dare you to not to find one fabric you can't leave without buying.  Camille also convinced Melinda of the benefits of being on Instagram.  She is aussiequiltsmith if you want to follow her.  There is also a 25% off sale happening right now too.  Of course there was no way I could pass up that! We must do our bit for the economy and all (yeah I can come up with a lot of ways to justify purchasing fabric).  There is a tab system while the class is on and your fabrics are cut and delivered to you in class. Nice or what?

Now its been probably 7 years or more since I have done a class but I only really forgot to take one thing and that was a square ruler to trim up the half square triangles.  I could use the ruler I took but it wasn't the best tool for the job.  Lucky the lovely Satch sitting next to me had one and graciously shared hers as well as her rotating cutting board.  My aim was to finish one block.  I did that and got half through another.  One lady got 5 made! I was more than happy with my progress.  I posted a picture of the fabrics I am using here. I was channeling the colors of Camille's Swoon quilt.  I am really, really happy with my blocks.  I am hoping to keep the momentum and do one more today (back to kid wrangling and washing duties today).  I asked Camille to pick a colour combo from my fabrics for one of my blocks as a memento of the class.

I missed my steam iron (my 9 patches suffered the most for a lack of steam).  I love a steam iron when I am pressing.  However this was nothing compared to the joy I got from the class. I really can't say enough nice things about the day.

I think I have waffled on enough now.  This is probably one of my longest blog posts ever.  Thanks for hanging in there.

Now I am off to sew my heart out!


7 comments:

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

I am so glad she was amazing! I had a friend who went to a workshop with a famous quilter she admired and was so disappointed that she was not friendly and lacked a personality. Channel that inspiration from Camille!

Leslie can't stop quilting said...

Oh Karen...this is all a dream for me. So glad it happened to you sweet friend!!! It all sounds so wonderful. Can't wait to see what you make next...love what you have been working on lately!!! So happy for you!!!

Rachaeldaisy said...

It all sounds sounds wonderful!!! I can hear the inspiration Camille has passed on to you in your words. Your blocks are the beginning of a beautiful quilt that remind you of these fun days!

Kirsten said...

Loved reading about your experience at the Sydney class Karen and glad you had a nice time too. I thought Camille was so friendly and such a great teacher - her way of chain piecing the blocks is just brilliant!

Catherine said...

Sounds like you got a lot out of this class and Camille sounds as nice as I imagine her to be. Just a little envious!

Sue SA said...

Glad you had such a fun day, the results look awesome! happy stitching my friend, inbetween kid wrangling of course!

Rene' said...

I am so happy you had the opportunity to take a class with a teacher you admire. Looks like you had such a great time, learned a lot and accomplished quite a bit. I find these experiences are so inspiring and do much to get me back in my sewing groove ;-) Love the picture of you and Camille.