Sunday, July 6, 2014

Sugar Block Club - July and other finishes

July is here and so finally is winter.  I am loving the cold weather (well as cold as it gets here which really isn't that cold).  Its also school holidays which has seen an increase in productivity as I am not needing to try to encourage "the procrastinator" to get his homework done. Needless to say its been lovely.

I got the July Sugar Block Club done today.  The corner blocks are paper pieced which I did the worst job ever on.  Reverse sewing was required.  Grrrr. But it got done and I didn't throw it in the corner.



I wanted to make my cousin's daughter a big quilt as the baby one I had made has been very much loved and used.  I bought a couple of layer cakes of Aneela Hoey's range, Hello Petal.  I sewed the squares together randomly.  The lovely Jeannette from Gone Aussie Quilting quilted it using an all over design called Bracelet.  It is backed with an aqua flannel and has cotton batting.








Last for today is the blocks I made for Alison of Little Island Quilting.  She is making quilts for for a children's home in Mexico that looks after former street children in Mexico City.  You can read about what she needs here.  Alison is asking for quilt-as-you-go blocks. I have made 6.  Yes they aren't my most "pretty" blocks but that doesn't matter.  Just go and have a look at Alison's blog at the finished quilts.  Alison has made 48 already! They look fabulous!  I also made a little something for Alison and popped some thread in there.  I am quite sure that it won't go astray.












For those that stop by and read by blog, thank you.
Let's hope a fantastic week lies ahead for all of us.
See you soon!

3 comments:

Rachaeldaisy said...

I love your Sugar Block club block! You always choose the best combo of fabrics for your blocks , I love your use of the dotty fabric. Those QAYG blocks are fun, nice and bright and will make children smile. Like your Hello Petal quilt. Don't squares just look wonderful, and the quilting suits it perfectly!! I bet it's cosy with the flannel backing!

Sue SA said...

I so need to catch up on my Sugar Block quilt blocks. I have a week of no children coming up, so I will be able to sew after work, well thats the plan! Love your QAYG blocks, they are such fun. The quilt for your cousins daughter is huge, and just adorable fabric. I love one block quilts where you just let the fabric shine, I am sure she is going to adore it. Happy quilting for the rest of your break.

Stephanie said...

The light shining through your pretty pieced block makes it glow. I love the simplicity of squares sewn into a quilt and the snuggle factor of flannel backing.