Friday, November 28, 2014

Making Bags




























Last Christmas I went on a bit of a bag making spree. This wonderful pattern from Michelle's Patterns inspired me to go a bit crazy.  The Grocery Bag pattern is a wonderful way to use up large pieces of fabric and showcase those big prints.  Best of all that lovely cotton can be washed and washed and washed if they get dirty.

The other tote bag is a free pattern from The Sassy Quilter called the Sassy Summer Tote.  I made the straps longer and also lined it.

The two bags with the spot fabric have a bit of a story behind them.  I have a friend at work who is a fabulous knitter.  Earlier in the year she had given me a scarf she knitted and two yards of beautiful linen spot fabric that she knew she wouldn't use. I wanted to make her something in return using the fabrics she had given me but I couldn't come up with a plan.  Its amazing what a impending deadline (she was going on leave for 3 months) can do for getting your butt into gear.  All of a sudden it came to me what to make. She loved her bags and was thrilled to have something made especially for her with fabrics she loved. I was very happy that she was pleased with what I had made her.  It can sometimes be daunting trying to guess what someone will like.

Hope everyone is happy and healthy!


3 comments:

Sue SA said...

Nice bags! I especially loved the coloured spot/dandelion flower lining, very sweet!

Kirsten said...

Lovely! I need to make some of these grocery bags too.

Selvage Quilter said...

What a gorgeous collection of bags. Nice job!!